maandag 7 maart 2011

1st race, 1st win

A good start of the season with a win in the sprint distance triathlon in Herderen! Just found out my times a couple of hours ago and pretty happy with them. As you know, this was a training race. I just had a really hard training week behind me a definitely didn't expect a win. On wednesday I felt great in training and was ready to race but by friday it was all gone. I had to do this really hard run and there was no way I could get my heartrates up to what they had to be. I suffered so much that day and just completely had it. Luckily I still had a 2,5 hour bike ride on saturday to look forward to.. yay. I do admit that my legs felt a bit better afterwards.
Then, a cruel sunday morning where we had to get up early. I got all my stuff ready the night before so we just had to load the car. We arrived in Bilzen, where the swim was, at around 10 am. there were 2 waves for the women and I had to start in the first one. 11:15 lane 3. I got the lane for myself which was great, did a bit of a warm up swim before and I felt ok. The legs didn't feel great but I don't really need them very much in the swim. I started off at a pretty good pace, trying to take long, strong strokes, never dropped my pace and even picked it up towards the end. in Lane 1 was Charlotte de Kort swimming, she had a great swim start but I saw her dropping back towards the end,  couldn't catch her though. In lane 2, next to me was Elke Conings, from the beginning of the swim untill about a 100 mtrs to go, she was just in front of me. I saw she wasn't doing her tumble turns so I knew what to get her on. the last 4 laps I accelerated end I finished 13 seconds in front of her. 7:43
In the 2nd wave was one really good swimmer, Lisa Stes. she kicked our asses by more than a minute!
After the swim we drove to Herderen for the second part of my race. it was a 4 lap bike leg followed by a 2 lap run. It was quite cold so I did a bit of a warm-up on the turbo and Reiny rubbed my legs in with warm up oil. reminds me of my bike racing times, good times :-)
since I ended up in 3rd place on the swim I was to start in 3rd position on the bike, 1 min 26 behind Lisa and 8 seconds behind Charlotte. I had no idea how strong the other girls were but I have to admit, they looked pretty fit and since my run isn't my strongest, I had to pass and get some time ahead of Charlotte and Lisa on the bike.
I started pretty fast, it was slightly uphill but I knew there would be a downhill bit just around the church. I saw Charlotte in front of me and yelled out at her, watch it: i'm coming. we sort of planned to try and ride to Lisa together and then attack her later. But I flew straight past Charlotte and she didn't get my wheel so I was gonna have to do it on my own. The bike lap was quite hilly but nothing too bad. there was quite a bit of wind as well and I was happy I only had to ride for 20km. At the end of the 1st lap, I completely loved my new bike, it's just amazingly fast! When we rode towards the finish there was a split, the men had to go left on this big hill and the women just had to ride straight ahead up a smaller hill. A few men passed me.., they took there corner and then I saw something that gave me wings: a good 100 mtrs in front of me was Lisa riding up the hill. I was still in the big ring and came back quickly. The last hilly bit to the finish was too steep for the 50 so I changed it back to my 34, spinned up the hill and went passed Lisa. Quickly back in the big ring on the false flat and .. attack! I dropped her, yess! Just had to keep it up now. After the 2nd lap I was using the small chainring a lot more and really thought I was going a lot slower because of that. Had some troubles with my chain as well, it kept coming off when I changed gears. front derailleur needs some fine tuning again.
Last lap I tried to 'recover' a bit and get ready for the run, really took my time to spin up the hill and get in Transition. Then, a quick change of shoes and off I was for a 5km run. I was sort of panicking because the last thing I heard Reiny scream was that they were about a min and a half behind and I didn't think that would be enough. My legs were completely powerless and I didn't feel like I was going anywhere. The guy on mic was convinced I was going to win but I thought he was a bit optimistic... There was another guy riding a mtb riding in front of me who said I didn't have to worry but I wasn't convinced. the 1st run lap was hell, I couldn't get in a rhythm, hamstrings weren't working with me and I couldn't breathe very well. When I first passed the finish line with one lap to go I heard Reiny, Jacob and his friends all yell out at me.  I looked back past the soccer field and didn't see any other girls yet so I knew the chance of anyone coming back would be pretty slim. After about 3,5 km I started feeling a bit better. I ran past the houses, had some little kids cheering me on and then I got to the soccer field. yay! a couple of hundred meters to go and it's over.
Reiny was waiting for me at the finish line, which was really nice! He took some nice photo's too and he filmed my swim!

So, looking back at the race, with racing times next to me, I can say that i'm quite happy with my result. I think I kicked ass on the bike, the only thing that went wrong there was my chain. lap times were: lap 1: 9:43 lap 2: 10:39 lap 3: 9:58 and lap 4: 10:08
I swam ok, but there is still lots of room for improvement, especially after watching my stroke on camera!
And for the run, I was very surprised to find out that I got the fastest running time! a shared, fastest running time, Elke did 21:36 as well. Still need some work on my run though, but i'm very happy with the improvements so far.

below you can see the results from the race:


Uitslag Herderen 2011 Dames
Pl.
Naam
Cat
Swim
Fietstijd
Split
Looptijd
Finish
1
Lossie
Gwen
Dames
0:07:43
0:40:32
0:48:15
0:21:36
1:09:51
2
conings
elke
Dames
0:07:56
0:45:33
0:53:29
0:21:36
1:15:05
3
Stes
Lisa
Dames
0:06:27
0:46:30
0:52:57
0:23:21
1:16:18
4
Debock
Julie
Dames
0:09:28
0:44:52
0:54:20
0:22:25
1:16:45
5
De Kort
Charlotte
Dames
0:07:35
0:47:36
0:55:11
0:24:43
1:19:54
6
Rinkes
Els
Dames
0:11:24
0:46:49
0:58:13
0:23:28
1:21:41
7
Berden
Jessica
Dames
0:09:46
0:48:56
0:58:42
0:24:57
1:23:39
8
Van den Bossche
Ruth
Dames
0:11:34
0:50:38
1:02:12
0:26:05
1:28:17
9
broechoven
an
Dames
0:10:41
0:52:02
1:02:43
0:29:48
1:32:31
10
Nijs
Greet
Dames
0:12:26
0:56:59
1:09:25
0:27:40
1:37:05
11
Callebaut
Klara
Dames
0:11:02
0:59:26
1:10:28
0:33:29
1:43:57
12
Wauters
Ellen
Dames
0:11:37
1:28:51
1:40:28
0:03:32
1:44:00
13
Vermeerbergen
Kirsten
Dames
0:09:21



DNF


The organization was very good as well! Really enjoyed doing this race. I loved the challenging bike circuit :-) Looking forward to seeing the photo's online.
check www.sport-events.be triathlon herderen!!

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Proficiat! Maar je zwemtijd is toch niet zo slecht? en met fietsen sta je 5min voor op de rest. :)
    Er zitten wel grote verschillen tussen die laatste paar deelnemers zeg :s
    naja ik ga nog even slapen, carnaval eist zijn tol haha. x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. en sinds wanneer is troost jouw sponsor?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. ja maar er is nog ruimte voor verbetering. Troost had mij vorig jaar een goed bedrag gesponsord voor Clearwater vandaar dat ze erop staan. er zal waarschijnlijk wel het een en ander aangepast moeten worden met sponsors binnenkort..

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen